Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Why?

My projects are like my kids. They drive me crazy.

“Why is it raining?”

“To water trees and flowers”

“Why?”

“So they can grow”

“Why?”

“Trees are good because they clean the air”

“Why?”….

It goes on, and on and on…

When I work on a project it goes like this:

“Why is this space long and skinny?”

“Why do these walls not align?”

“Why do they align?”

“Is this the best location for the entry?”

“Why?”

“Why not here?”

Sometimes I’m tempted to scream JUST BECAUSE IT LOOKS COOL ON PAPER!

Why? is the second point on my check list. Following directly the What if?. Why? challenges the arbitrary. The form has to have the purpose and an explanation. The placement of elements, relationships between spaces and color cannot be accidental. Strong, well executed concept is clearly noticeable. It is pronounced everywhere in the building. We say “This house is open”, “This space is private”, “This office is functional”. It is. Because all the “Whys” have been answered by the architect.

My projects are like my kids. I care about them. They deserve better than “Just because”.

No comments:

Post a Comment