Monday, December 28, 2009

The big WHY of 2009

This post is personal. It talks about WHY, in 2009, I spent so much energy and time on the subject of city planning. Why I had no choice but to step out of my comfort zone and (with the shaky voice) speak at the public hearing. And why I felt obligated to write a letter to the City Council.

I was born and grew up in Krakow, Poland. This historic city in central Europe shaped my understanding of what a city is and how it works. During my high school and collage years my daily routine consisted of 30 minute bus and light rail trip to the downtown. Waiting at the local bus stop was an opportunity to chat with the neighbors about the latest score of the town’s soccer team. There was always a group of friends on a light rail ready to discuss homework problems and share the gossip. Public transportation was so common and available I never learned how to drive, but instead I have always felt like a part of the community I lived in. After school, on a nice day, I would stroll through the city’s main square. There never was an instance that I did not run into an old friend or acquaintance. Like that grade school math teacher who insisted on calling me “Ania”. He was glad to see his favorite pupil about to graduate from an architecture school. After a full day I would go back to my family’s 500-square-foot apartment where we sat at the kitchen table at 7 pm every night for supper. I would listen to my parent’s conversations about Lech Walesa and Solidarity movement and learnt about the important changes happening in world’s politics during that time.

It is important to note that a city is more than just a collection of streets and buildings. Just like Jane Jacobs says cities are compilation of social experiences. As human beings there is nothing more interesting to us than watching other human beings. And when the times are rough we long for closeness and interaction with family members, friends and neighbors. For me, those were some fundamental, simple lessons I learnt while growing up in Poland. After studding urban design and architecture in collage, travelling to different cities in Europe, and finally settling in US (my first stop was Knoxville, TN) those lessons turned into a passion for quality of urban lifestyle. And while Denver is gearing up to adopt a new zoning code early next year I felt obligated to speak up on behalf of a simple human right to be around other humans.

The economy of the last few years has forced us to refocus our lifestyle. More and more people talk about going back to basics and recognize family and social values. The wave of foreclosures redefined housing market. Home buyers are asking for quality, efficiency and simplicity, not the square footage. Kitchen tables re-gained their popularity as people stay in and cook more. Neighborhood schools are important centers of community life. And everybody is tired of highway traffic.

City planning is a powerful tool in the hands of politicians. It can shape a city by shifting development opportunities from one end to the other like a kid playing in the sand with a shovel. It can also promote or discourage human interaction. It can allow us to walk to a corner store and mingle on a light rail or force us into our cars for hours at a time. During these times of “CHANGE” and shift in social priorities we came to a point when we should stop designing our cities for the cars and focus on the people instead.


Wishing you a meaningful 2010,


Gosia Kung







Picture of a house by Julia, 4 1/2

2 comments:

  1. Gosia: I want our city to look like Julia's house drawing! Thanks for this post--Your depth of understanding and passion about this City complements it so well! Wishing you and yours Peace, harmony and melody in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosia, thanks for your insights. I better appreciate your perspective and your passion now. Sorry I missed you at the lunch today. I got caught up in conversation and didn't make it over to say hi. Happy New Year! Dru

    ReplyDelete