Friday, December 4, 2009

Just a bit of zoning humor...

Variance for a Goat

I would like to request a variance from Section 8-81. (Livestock above or below ground floor) of Denver Municipal Code and request a permit for an Urban Goat.

It is my intent to turn my rooftop deck on my duplex into a green roof. This environmentally friendly feature will not only provide additional insulation to the roof, prevent the heat island effect, but will also serve as an ideal habitat and food supply for my Urban Goat. The half story structure on the roof (as a part of the two-and-a-half story building form) will serve as a holding stall. Due to its size and scale the half story structure cannot be utilized for human habitation therefore it is assumed that it’s placement in the code was intended for a livestock such as goat. The goat’s waste will be collected by a system of gutters and downspouts and deposited in my garden for the purpose of fertilizing and watering.

My garden is my pride and joy. It does not only serve as a water quality facility to treat goat waste, it is also a source of the wholesome produce for my family and neighbors. I want to invite you to tour my ten-foot-square back yard to see what I’m talking about. The short tour takes 45 minutes, while the long tour is 1.5 hour, so please plan accordingly. This urban oasis is a home to 10 hens that provide fresh eggs to the entire city block. Crops such as corn, potatoes, broccoli, pumpkins and cabbage are all abundant in case transportation stops and Denver has to grow its own food. With this application I would also like to request that the City Council does everything humanly possible to prevent my neighbor to the South from popping his top and shading my garden.

I believe that a goat would be an ideal complement to my back yard farming facility. And the flat roof on my duplex will be a very adequate habitat for the goat. In addition to my personal request for a goat I would like to propose that the Urban Goat be a use by right in all residential zones to allow all Denver citizens benefit form the livestock. All SU zones should allow Single Urban Goat (SU-g) while TU zones should allow Two Urban Goats (TU-g).

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Gosia Kung (the Urban Farmer)

No comments:

Post a Comment